VMware ESXi is enterprise level bare metal hypervisor and is part of VMware’s vSphere product suite.
Hardware Requirements for VMware ESXi 6.0
- ESXi runs on 64-bit x86 server hardware.
- ESXi requires at least 2 CPU cores.
- Minimum 4 GB RAM is need to run VMware ESXi, however more RAM is recommended to run Virtual Machines.
- Hardware virtualization (Intel VT-x or AMD RVI) must be enabled in server BIOS
See the VMware Compatibility list to find supported server hardware http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility
ESXi Supports below installation methods.
Boot server using bootable ISO installer and install ESXi.
Boot server with ISO or network boot and provide script for scripted installation. Scripts contains configuration required for installation.
VMware auto deploy method directly Install ESXi in RAM of server. vCenter needs to up and running before using this method.
In this document we will go through interactive installation of ESXi.
Step by Step Installation of VMware ESXi
Download VMware ESXi installer from VMware site. You can download VMware products for free and evaluate it for 60 days.
1. Connect to server Remote Console using Dell DRAC of IBM management module.
2. Map ESXi Installer ISO to server.
For the demonstration purpose I am using Nested virtualization to create Virtual ESXi servers.
You can create ESXi VMs in VMware workstation or existing ESXi servers.
While creating Nested ESXi VM, make sure you Expose CPU features to VM by selecting “Expose hardware assisted virtualization to the guest OS” You need to create VM using web client for this option.
3. Power On and boot server from cdrom (virtual cdrom if you are using dell or IMM)
4 . Let the installer boot ESXi vmkernel and monitor boot process.
5. Press enter key to Continue with ESXi installation.
6. Press F11 to Accept End user license Agreement and continue installation.
7. Select the Hard Disk, USB or SD card on which you want to install ESXi.
8. Press Enter key to select keyboard layout.
9. Enter password for root user and Press enter to continue.
10. Press 11 to Install ESXi
11. Monitor installation process
12. Press enter to reboot server and complete ESXi installation.
13. Once ESXi boot process finishes, we see console like below. Now to get started with ESXi, first we need to configure IP address for ESXi Host. Also make sure you create DNS record for ESXi.
By default ESXi accept IP from DHCP
With this VMware ESXi Installation is completed, proceed to next topic.
Next Topic - How to Set Management IP for ESXi?